Friday, August 19, 2005

On sleep

I always worry about people who do not get enough sleep. I worry about my insomniac sister. Maybe she needs a new bed. I don’t know. Some people tell me rather smugly that they only need 5 hours of sleep. I worry about them. When did sleep ever become a precious commodity? I think 8.5 hours of sleep should be a right, not a privilege.

Since I’m a proud sleep addict, I feel it is my duty to spread the good vibes in the spirit of volunteerism and will therefore post here my top ten healthy sleeping tips:

1. Don’t eat right before getting your Zs. If you do, sip some mint tea in bed. My sister Nan (health guru extraorinaire) told me once that mint helps you digest.
2. Do not compulsively watch three episodes of Six Feet Under in a row and in the dark of your room before going to bed. I road-tested this one yesterday evening. Pass the Tylenol.
3. Take naps.
4. When you are all tucked in and ready for some sweet dreamin, sit up and read a novel for a few minutes.
5. If you have a significant other, ask him or her to read you a short story in bed (preferably something by P.J. O’Rourke).
6. Before bedtime, have a ritual: sip some fancy-schmancy herbal tea, play a game of domino, listen to the radio or draw. Bottom line, it has to be repetitive.
7. If you usually get less than 5 hours of sleep, I have news for you: more coffee won’t help.
8. In the evening, play locked out of the house and stay there for an arbitrarily determined length of time. Move around, jog, bike, or take a nice walk. Get back in around bed time, and go straight to bed.
9. For chrissakes, don’t watch American Idol: the bad hip-hop, the annoying audience, the ugly glittery stage, the obnoxious contestants, the sex-scandals. Two words: bad stimuli. At the risk of sounding like an elitist snob, stay away from the fugly pop culture.
10. After 9pm, unhook the phone. People will get the clue after a while.

This concludes the advice portion of this blog. You are welcome to post your ideas on best sleeping practices. Good night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Caro said...

Kine!

Combien est-ce que je te dois pour ces conseils thérapeutiques? Sans farce, je vais essayer la menthe!

J'ajouterais à tes conseils que d'entretenir un blogue est pour moi une bonne façon de contrôler mon insomnie. Mon cerveau se vide alors de toutes ses préoccupations, futiles ou non. J'ai hâte de voir si ce moyen va tenir la route, une fois la session réellement commencée...

Bon vendredi!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ai souvent entendu dire que la menthe était un stimulant, qu'il fallait éviter avant le dodo. Qui dit vrai?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kine said...

Je pense que t'as raison. La camomille serait préférable...

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having lived through 18 months of untreated sleep apnea, I do understand the value of a good sleep. Snorers of this world, seek help! You (and your significant other) will have a new lease on life!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Voix said...

Mint is a gentle stimulant, but a chamomile-mint blend would be very relaxing.

I love naps, too. And mangoes. And black coffee. And smelly cheese.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home