Friday, September 15, 2006

NYC Tour Diary

It's nice to visit NYC. After decades of watching Allen movies and sitcoms, it's nice to get to see the real thing. Granted, I've been to NYC before, but I don't remember too much of it, except the one time when were robbed (or scammed) of a couple hundred dollars and our car was towed. But I was 13 and I found the whole thing pretty hilarious. Anyway, that is neither here nor there so I'll get to the point and give you my perceptions of my trip, all still minty fresh even thought I got back over two weeks ago.


I saw a polar bear at the Central Park Zoo. It looked as cuddly and warm as George Clooney.
*****
The hole of 9/11 is as big as one might think.
*****
Fashion note: not a single person there wears shorts. Nobody.
*****
Fashion note #2: In Central Park, a new yorker compliments me on my bag. The next day, I overhear a hipster murmuring to her boyfriend: "Oh, I love her shoes". I record these as the two single greatest fashion-related victories of my existence.
*****
I was staying in Edison, one of the many New Jersey strech of suburbia, in a hotel room clad in beige and darker-beige, which is just the way rooms ought to be. It cost me 37$ to be the extra-guest in my brother-in-law's hotel room. My parents and all my sisters (minus one) were there too.
*****
My sister and I had glorious brunch in the ever hip West Village. It was divine. We took pictures.
*****
NYC is a society caught in constant stampede. There are "No Standing Any Time" signs everywhere. I thought it was adressed to pedestrians, but I was later told that it was for cars. But you still feel like a criminal if you don't "Move Your Ass Any Time".
*****
Being in the city make me feel dirty (literally, not figuratively). Something about the air, the smell. It's all so very dirty. I go through a pack of moist anti bacterial towelettes in a day. If I were living there I would constantly be afraid of dying a slow radioactive death, unless I had my towelettes handy.
*****
In Soho: Saw Sofia Coppola foraging for lettuce and bread at Dean and Deluca. It was exotic and unexpected.
*****
Shopping in the U.S. doesn't feel too sinful anymore, as the canadian dollar in is better shape.
*****
Had some glorious walks, but 50% of my brain was focussing on my ailing knees.
*****
In NYC, cupcakes are the must have accessory of the year.
*****
You are not supposed to want to go to the bathroom in NYC. Hardly an original observation.
*****

If someone gets a hint (Caro? Nan?, Mom? Hello?), i'll soon have pictures to post on Flickr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home